Searching...
Thursday 28 December 2017

How to Stay on Top of Your Industry Or Field of Expertise

December 28, 2017
Being in the know is paramount to being an expert in your given area of knowledge. If you are the person people go to for information about your topic, you are wise to stay on top of what's happening in your industry or field of expertise. I'll share a few ways to do this.

1. Know Who to Ask. Someone asked me a question about copyright today. While that is not my area of expertise, I have made many connections through networking. Therefore, I was able to email a copyright expert and give my inquirer an answer within just a few hours. Being a good networker, even if you don't know the answer to your inquirer's question, you should know who to ask. Keep a list of those in your network and know who does what.
2. Research. Another way I stay on the cutting edge of the book industry is through research. But, rather than having to go out and find information (unless I specifically need something ASAP), I let the information come to me! I set Google Alerts on keywords relevant to my industry and the service sends me an email whenever Google finds articles on that topic. I am also subscribed to at least ten industry-related newsletters and I read every one of them! I click on the links therein, which allow me to send an email to connect with other people in my industry, or read an article that gives the latest update on book marketing techniques or social marketing outlets and opportunities.
3. Attend seminars and book fairs. I find many listings of seminars, workshops, and industry trade fairs in the newsletters and blogs of published by editors, authors, and book marketers. I recently attend the Tennessee chapter of the National Speakers Association's monthly meeting in which self-publishing book pro Dan Poynter gave his most popular presentation "Turning Speeches into Books." Since I am both an author and a speaker, this seminar was right on target for me.
All this effort returns great results, not only in keeping abreast of current trends in your market or industry, but also in establishing contacts in your network, and making you even more an expert.
Yvonne Perry is a freelance writer and the owner of Writers in the Sky Creative Writing Services (WITS). She and her team of ghostwriters are ready to assist you with writing and editing for books, Web text, business documents, resumes, bios, articles, and media releases.
For more information about writing, networking, publishing, and book promotion, or to sign up for free email delivery of WITS newsletter, please visit http://www.writersinthesky.com New subscribers receive a free eBook Tips for Freelance Writing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

11 Tips to Writing a Winning Proposal

Proposal Writing - 11 Tips to Writing a Winning Proposal The benefits of winning an important contract can mean more than just additional ...